Monday, December 9, 2013

A creative use of PowerPoint!

            I was continuing to research how as a future French teacher I can use different technological resources in my classroom to aid in my teaching. I found a little article written by a French teacher herself and game that she created using Microsoft PowerPoint. In this PowerPoint presentation, the teacher had made different boxes all with numbers on them. The students will then pick a number, and when the teacher clicks on a number, it will lead the PowerPoint to a question slide. Here, there will be a question that can either be multiple choice or just a short response question, depending what the teacher prefers. An example could even be having the question just be a picture of a cake for example. The slide can literally just be a picture of a cake and say "Le ..........." This question would then be asking for students to come up with the word for cake by then saying "Le gâteau." This PowerPoint game resembles closely to Jeopardy which many of us have even played a Jeopardy-like game in our past classes when we were younger. I think that this game that this teacher invented is an excellent idea to take a more simple and user-friendly technology like PowerPoint and make something more creative out of it! This incorporates the technology in the classroom, aids in the lessons being taught, AND is even more fun and exciting for the students as you can even divide the classroom up into little teams and have them play against each other. I think I may use this idea in one of my future classes to give my students a more fun and engaging way to learn French rather than just lecturing them and doing all the work up front all by myself. What do you guys think of this creative game?

3 comments:

  1. I think this is a great idea! I always loved jeopardy-like games in school; I think I learned the most French when my French teacher would let us play games. We often played bingo too, which was really fun. One of my history teachers made a game like the one you talk about in this post but I am not sure what technology she used; it might have been something from the internet. I am glad to see you are thinking about such creative ways to teach French. I am an English major but surprisingly enough my fondest high school memories come from being in French class!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an awesome idea! I never took French in school but I did take 3 years of German. We used to play Jeopardy all the time. It was probably my favorite memories of that class. And I feel like I always learned the most during those classes. It was so fast pace you had to really work to keep up; especially when you are as competitive as me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always played jeopardy in my History classes! As much as we hated taking tests, we loved the test review days because that is when we played. It allowed me and many of my classmates to retain the information more efficiently since we were extremely engaged in answering the questions and getting the right answers. I will definitely be using the Powerpoint Jeopardy game in my future classrooms.

    ReplyDelete