Wednesday, December 11, 2013

Skype for Education?

                      Across the nation a number of schools have begun to use the computer program Skype in and out of their foreign language classrooms. The use of Skype for foreign language education was used in the form of video chatting with a pen pal. When I first heard about schools doing this, I wasn't sure how I felt about it. The first thing that came to my mind was, will the student really benefit from this? Will the student find an online predator?, etc. After some reflection and further reading about different schools that use Skype for their foreign language education, I began to see its positives. To answer my previous question about "Will the student find an online predator?" I noticed that for the schools that do use Skype for these purposes, the teachers go about finding good pen pals to pair the students up with, to prevent the student from finding a pen pal themselves which could be dangerous. I also learned that some schools even partner up with schools abroad so that there is learning on both ends of the webcam! An example of this kind of school partnership is the liaison between Montclair State and the University of Nice, in France. Like Montclair and the University of Nice, some schools have a back and forth relationship between the schools, and for the purpose of finding a pen pal, this is very useful! The schools that do have a relationship like this, with a school abroad, could use ask that school to find students who wouldn't mind Skyping with a student from the United States, to practice the target language. (On both ends!) I think that this is a great idea, because not only are both students benefiting language wise, but this also allows for both students to learn a little about each others' cultures as well! By talking with an online pen pal through Skype, the students will be able to practice all that they know in the language and also learn so much from their pen pal about life in another country! I wish that in high school I had a Skype pen pal to chat with because I think that would have made my experience not only more fun and interesting, but also it would have given me the opportunity to learn more about these foreign cultures, and people. Although I was skeptical at first, I do think that Skype could be a great tool for students to use, however I do think that it should be monitored. Some of the schools that do use Skype for this purpose set up a specific time with the foreign school to go to a computer lab, and have the students go on and interact. I think that this is the best idea, that way the students can be monitored, to reduce the risk of online dangers. Do you think that Skype would have helped you in your previous/current foreign language classes?

3 comments:

  1. I really love this idea. I feel that any language benefits from direct conversations with native speakers of the language that you are learning. I am currently taking french online here at MSU and I think that having a student to talk to that is fluent in french would really be a great benefit. I think that I would have been able to gain small insights into the world of the french language and culture that would have enhanced my learning.

    ReplyDelete
  2. skype for education: Skype is a great tool that I use to

    communicate, although usually for fun. I think that it has serious

    potential and I like your point that BOTH students can learn from a

    skype call with language. It will take some monitoring to ensure

    safety and security, but overall I agree that it does belong in

    lanuage classrooms. The only thing I worry about is that by the time

    it is successfully implemented, skype may have fallen out of favor

    with the youth and may become awkward to use in a classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think skype is awesome! I have a friends at Montclair that teaches students around the world English and he loves it. He always tells me about the students he skypes with and he says that they really learn a lot! Of course the teacher will have to ensure trustworthy people to skype with however if used correctly this could only help. I wish my Spanish teachers in high school had tried this because I am left wondering how much more I would have known in the language.

    ReplyDelete